About Me!

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who don't know me, I have a very special superpower. I am autistic, but this doesn't stop me having fun as you can see.

This is a blog to remind me of all my fun adventures.

I hope you enjoy looking at it.

William

Saturday 12 January 2019

My Experience Of The Wasps Sensory Room - 6th January 2018


Today I got to experience a rugby match from a different angle. The sensory room at the Ricoh Arena.


Wasps v Northampton Saints.


Here's my ticket.  Now we are off to the sensory room!

My Official Match day Programme.


Can you see the sign for the sensory room behind my head?


When there is not a match on at the Arena these rooms are hotel rooms.  So the doors and corridor are just like you would find if you are staying at a hotel.


The sensory room has two doors.  One is locked.  Shall we go through the other one to explore?



Come on in.  The first door you see on the left is a standard bathroom.



Wow!  Look at that view.


As you can see through the doors behind me.  The room is located on one of the corners of the stadium.


There are lots of comfy chairs, bean bags and cushions that you can move wherever you like.



Do you like the designs of the cushions?


There are lots of  communicate in print pictures and symbols to help you understand everything in the room and everything that is going to happen through the match.


As soon as today's team was announced I wanted to find the players pictures and put them in their positions.



Today's match is being televised.  I have the TV on watching highlights and the build up to the match.



This is the second adjoining room. 

The curtains are pulled in here and the lights are out.  So it is very calm and peaceful and you can enjoy the bubble tube, string lights, and cuddley Sting!





I spoke to Jordan (Community Development Officer) about what I liked about the Sensory room.



There is a whole box of sensory toys that you can play with including things to pull and squeeze.



This is the second bathroom in the bubble tube side of the room.


It is a bathroom big enough for a wheelchair.

  We are very lucky to have our own private bathrooms so we don't have to leave the sensory room.


Time to explore outside.  The door slides open.



Can you see the big screen behind me?


Inside or outside it's up to you?


The sensory room has it's own special rows of seats.


What a great view.


I asked Sean lots of questions about what would happen if the fire alarm went off or if somebody tried to get in the sensory room who should not be there.


There are 16 special reserved seats.


They say 'Reserved Wasps Sensory Room'.

 They are very comfy and posh!



Behind me you can see the open slide door to the sensory room.


It's very special to be able to see the stadium and all the staff getting ready for the match.



Soon this area will be filling up.


Here is a little video tour.


The players are all coming out to warm up.


The crowd are starting to take their seats.



Here is me pretending to be a sports presenter on TV.


Look who's come to see me Bernie - Northampton's mascot.



Sting (my favourite) and Bernie together.


I'm in my seat ready for the match to begin, if you want too you can sit inside instead, but I wanted to enjoy the atmosphere.

I would recommend to anybody that struggles with noise, but wants to enjoy the atmosphere to bring their own ear defenders as it can get quite noisy outside, especially as the Wasps drummers are located a couple of blocks across in the South stand to the right of you.  But remember you can go inside at anytime and still have a great view or a break from the noise.


Here is a video showing the drummers.



I love it when the players run out and the fire boxes go off.



Everybody is very excited for the match to begin.



You can stand up at the back too.  Here I am waving my Wasps flag and joining in with the Wasps chants.


Hello Sting would you like to come in the Sensory room?



Come on Wasps!


Half time score was Wasps 17 - 16 Saints.

  I enjoyed going back inside the peace and quiet of the Sensory room at half time, warming up and watching the TV interviews and listening to the pundits opinions of the first half.


What a great game.

Wasps won 27 -16.



16,215 people attended.


Watching the BT Sports pundits finishing todays live program.

The stadium is now empty again.

I've had a fantastic day, and would recommend the Sensory room to anybody who would normally struggle attending a match.  Especially Special Autistic people like me :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment